There and back again: Behind the scenes of the Library of Virginia’s newspaper digitization program
State newspaper programs across the country have been gradually expanding over the last decade, building infrastructure and momentum in the important work of preserving, digitizing, and providing access to historic newspaper collections. How a newspaper program is strategically built can make or break its long-term success and sustainability.
In this on-demand webinar, originally recorded October 5, 2017, the Director of the Library of Virginia’s Virginia Newspaper Project (VNP), Errol Somay, shares some valuable lessons from its twenty-four year history:
• Strategy – considerations and advice for the long-haul
• Funding – options for funding and sustainability
• Digitization – standards, specifications, and choosing vendors
• Technology – tools, platforms, and volunteers
• Metadata – workflows, collaboration, and end-users
• The future – predictions and ideas
VNP has served as a leading pioneer, resource, and example for state newspaper programs. Don’t miss this opportunity to learn from this established program.
Director, Virginia Newspaper Project
The Library of Virginia
Director, Business Development